Skip to main content

I Got Flowers Today


I'm feeling very hot still under this shade
Araba, get off your behind and head home to cool yourself off this heat.

That was when this gentleman stepped in my way. Your face is looking all sweaty Miss...?? Araba. That's my name if that's what you are asking for.
And I'm Kofi. Nice to meet you Araba. Could you please take this handkerchief and wipe your face. I can't stand a beautiful lady like you sweating like this under the hot sun.

We engaged in a little more conversation, exchanged numbers and left. We had agreed to go on our first date after our first phone call.  On our first date, he brought beautiful bouquet of roses after I told him I'll be wearing red.
Our friendship developed into something beautiful called love. And here I was, Araba, in love with another man again. One night he came over and picked my phone from the sofa whilst I was in the kitchen trying to fix us dinner. He rushed towards me and squeezed my hair pulling me towards him and gave me a hot slap. I should never see you or your fingers talking or texting any man again. You heard me?? You're mine!!!
At work the next morning, my secretary sends me flowers with a sweet romantic message with his name tag on it.
I freaking love this dude.

I got flowers today

We are a  married couple now. He is always promising me he would change. Sometimes he does. And sometimes he doesn't. Taking me on romantic dates, and expensive trips around the world, surprisingly often after long fights or sometimes over stale unresolved arguments we tend to sweep under the carpet.
Once again he quarrels with me over why I refused to declare my salary to him as a woman. You don't respect me oo Araba. He always say. What's wrong with me asking for a couple of bucks to stabilise my struggling business, if indeed you can offer me one?
I work my bloody ass off to provide everything you need for you without asking a dime from you. It will be over you one day, you ungrateful b***
Meanwhile, my people I had been giving him money to stabilise stabilise saa, nothing concrete was happening for him. Anytime I complain, he sounds me heavily on my face.
Which irrationally forces submission out of me to his every will.
The next morning, the usual flowers and shopping spree and weekend suprise get aways will happen again, and he will coercely wash everything away mentally within me.
One night,  I was in my nightwear, in a rush to fix him something to eat and unfortunately, I guess, poured in much salt than necessary.
As soon as he tasted the salty stew, he rushed to the kitchen and grabbed me by my left ear. Herh! Stupid girl, come here didn't your mother teach you how to cook? He slapped me so bad my head hit against the wall tiles and I fell flat on the floor.

I got flowers today

Sadly, it's not for a romantic date night anymore but for my own funeral. Death took me away swiftly but staying in an abusive me marriage for so long rendered me a living corpse on earth.

Folks, if you anyone going through an abusive marriage or relationship, help save that person, be it a man or a woman even when they can't seem to save themselves.


Kwame Sarpong
Freelance Writer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The  Inconvenient  Truth

We hate the truth so much today. We hate hearing about it and hate  it even more when it is coming from other people who we feel are not close to us. We are quick to swallow and lend our ears  to any lie that flatters us but find it hard, almost impossible to live with the truth because it may appear bitter to us. Meanwhile, it would have been much better for us and our lives to live knowing the truth and painfully taking the long path to do the right thing than to take a shortcut or a detour of many deadly pleasures just to do wrong. No matter how hard or  harsh, it may sound for you to hear the truth or receive it, if it is going to put your life in the right direction, please listen and listen good. Stay away from people who will hail you at every turn, people who find everything and anything you do to be nothing but good. Because none is perfect, we all have our good and bad sides. It is impossible for you to always have a good side all the time even if you fake it. Embrace an

5 English proficiency tests you must know to study abroad

 You're definitely looking for English-taught degrees if you plan to study abroad. And, regardless of where you choose to study, you'll find plenty. You'll also see that you'll need a minimal English language score to demonstrate that you can follow lectures, engage in seminars, and finish your assignments. Even if you have exceptional English skills, this is a requirement. Native English speakers are the only exception, however, each academic institution determines under what circumstances students are exempt from providing an English language certificate. You can also enrol in an online English language preparation course. There are many options available, all of which make studying more convenient. Most international colleges accept one, two, or three of the English language tests listed below: Here are the top five tests to consider if you want to study abroad. 1.  IELTS IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is an international standardised test of E

Your Competition

Just remember, your competition isn't other people Your competition is; Your procrastination to getting important things done Your ego, that makes you think you are above everyone else Your unhealthy eating habits and health choices The knowledge you neglect because you think you know it all or because you think others don't have an opinion on a matter because they are not intelligent The negative mindset and behaviour you're nurturing because because you think you are not worth something Your lack of Creativity. Failing to explore new ideas or try new things because you think you will fail or not succeed again. You're not in competition with anyone but yourself. Kwame Sarpong |  Freelance Writer:  Nyansa365  e: nyansa365@gmail.com | w: nyansa365.blogspot.com  m: +233205832364 | p: +233205832364 f: Otumfour Kwame Sarpong t: @kwamesarpong25 inst: iamotumfour L: Kwame Sarpong