Skip to main content

Know Your Limits


Are you a generous person who always genuinely want to help people?

Do you always want to go above and beyond yourself to help people just because you are a good or a kind person?

Or are you being kind or generous to people so as to receive praises and Cheers of approval from people?

Then this article is for you, so listen....

A lot of times we feel compelled  to help, support and be kind to people because we feel for them or because we can sometimes identify ourselves with their pain.

But often times, if you will and watch pretty well, we do so and leave our own goals and aspirations behind. Because we may think that oh, this person is really in a bad situation and he really needs help. I know I have got to start my business this year, but wait,  let me help this my friend or sister out with some money or some support. After he or she is physically or financially stable, I'll get back to building my business again.

Great idea, my dear sister and brother, but here's the thing maybe you haven't realised yet, how will you know for sure you can get back to building that business again or work on that personal goal again?

You will agree with me that there is no assurance or certainty to that. Right?

Do not ever shoot yourself in the foot by doing a good deed which may eventually throw you backwards in life or drag you deeper into a mess you may never recover from.
Back in the University,  I think on my last semester of my second year, being the kind person that I was, I decided to help my coursemates out with a French Conversation Exam. A few of us could really do the paper, but majority couldn't. On reading through the paper, I realised it was a pretty simple comprehension excercise. So I thought to myself, let me help my next person seated by me with answers to all the questions.
I wrote all the questions and provided the answers on an additional paper and passed it on to her to be passed on to everybody who was suffering too.
Here's the sad part, by the time, I handed the additional  paper to the person and started to work on mine, it was left with only 5 minutes to finish the exam. The lecturer shouted the time left and I was shaking like a leaf with fear. I wrote as much as I could. When the final results came, everyone thought I will have a 100% or 80% the least.

Including my French lecturer. He called out my name first, Kwame Sarpong. Smiling this moment, because I thought I had done very well as usual. But he said, you have really shocked me this time, you had 60% why??

Just to let you know, I'm very disappointed in you. I couldn't console myself because he said this Infront of everybody in the class. The people I had sacrificed so much time to help them past the test, became the same people who were laughing at me hard for being stupid and a fool.

This then became a hard lesson for me after college, that I will never help anybody so much or put whole of myself in their  affairs so much that I forget the important things I need to do for myself too.
The sad thing is some of the people you may sacrifice so much to help will not even remember or appreciate what you did for them years ago or things you are still doing for them.

These days, even though I still help a lot of people,  I have limits to how far I want to go with helping somebody. I push towards self sufficiency with the person even with my family members. I will help you get on your feet but you also have to push yourself to make something meaningful from what I'm giving you or doing for you. I will let you know, by one year, 6 months,by 5 days etc. I'm done based on a plan or strategy I will draw with you. I will invest and devote more of myself or invest any other needed support if you are doing great with the little help I'm offering you.  (Read the parable of the Talents from the Bible).

Life is what is happening right Infront of you, while you are busy making other plans and not paying attention to the present moment.

*Kwame Sarpong*
*Freelance Writer*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The  Inconvenient  Truth

We hate the truth so much today. We hate hearing about it and hate  it even more when it is coming from other people who we feel are not close to us. We are quick to swallow and lend our ears  to any lie that flatters us but find it hard, almost impossible to live with the truth because it may appear bitter to us. Meanwhile, it would have been much better for us and our lives to live knowing the truth and painfully taking the long path to do the right thing than to take a shortcut or a detour of many deadly pleasures just to do wrong. No matter how hard or  harsh, it may sound for you to hear the truth or receive it, if it is going to put your life in the right direction, please listen and listen good. Stay away from people who will hail you at every turn, people who find everything and anything you do to be nothing but good. Because none is perfect, we all have our good and bad sides. It is impossible for you to always have a good side all the time even if you fake it. Embrace an

Your Competition

Just remember, your competition isn't other people Your competition is; Your procrastination to getting important things done Your ego, that makes you think you are above everyone else Your unhealthy eating habits and health choices The knowledge you neglect because you think you know it all or because you think others don't have an opinion on a matter because they are not intelligent The negative mindset and behaviour you're nurturing because because you think you are not worth something Your lack of Creativity. Failing to explore new ideas or try new things because you think you will fail or not succeed again. You're not in competition with anyone but yourself. Kwame Sarpong |  Freelance Writer:  Nyansa365  e: nyansa365@gmail.com | w: nyansa365.blogspot.com  m: +233205832364 | p: +233205832364 f: Otumfour Kwame Sarpong t: @kwamesarpong25 inst: iamotumfour L: Kwame Sarpong

What Consumes Your Mind Controls You

We live in a competitive Information world today. Competitive Information because every bit of information, whether bad or good,  from a single one to about a billion of them is fighting to get our undivided attention. There are only two places these Information we see (on TV) read ( in Newspapers) and listen ( to on Radio) are hoping to get to; and that's our minds and our hearts. From movie producers and directors in Hollywood, Music and Record producers to advertisers and marketers promoting famous products and brands. They capture our attention by predicting (guessing) our moods and thoughts before they finally put up words, images and video content that can convince us immediately to buy their products. They simply capture our minds by making us answer simple random and general questions about human behaviour and from our Yes and No answers, they are able to study our ways of thinking and then go on to craft or design messages that will convince us to buy that iPhone 11 Pro