Skip to main content

The Trust Trap

In 1993, I was admitted at the hospital and scheduled for an orthopedic surgery a month ahead.  The Spanish doctor who was to perform my surgery will visit me and my mother in the hospital ward every morning... and ask me to practice trying to stand by myself and start walking bit by bit everyday until the time of the surgery.
I didn't want to do it. My worried mother asked me why and I said the walking excercise routine is so painful. So I can't do it. Besides I have you and dad, and my brothers to help me always. Why should I struggle to walk on my own when you guys are there to always help me.  I remember my young stupid self giving my dear mother that answer.  The answer she gave me was; Kwame, I will not spell doom for you. But if you don't strive to walk on your own on the canvas, you may soon realise in the near future, your brothers will prefer holding their girlfriends hands to yours. In my little mind, I thought my mother was mean and heartless for saying that to me at the time. But how true she was.  I forced myself to walk countless times and hours everyday and today the rest is history. I can walk perfectly on my own and go anywhere I want to when I want to. 
My brothers and family live  busy lives today. Each with their own family and life to worry about. My mother's prophecy was so true. Glad they pushed me to work hard on myself more and not to solely trust and depend on them.

Sadly, just like my younger self, most of you may have trusted other people blindly that you could never bring yourself to think they will disappoint you the way they did, but they did. Because of that you have vowed heaven and earth not trust anyone again, because of the past disappointments you have experienced from people. You are 100% right to think so if you ask me. 
But be also mindful that no man is an island on his own. You cannot do everything by yourself. By all means, you will need somebody's help to get something done or to get to your desired destination in life.. So you must trust someone
But do well to be wise and learn not to completely depend on people, even the ones who will give you unfailing assurances of their assistance or help. Of course, trust.

They may have good or genuine intentions in their minds to help you. But as you have come to know by now, no one can predict the sudden ups and downs of this life. Not even the fake proclaimed prophets in your church or the native doctor in your little village.

So push yourself and strive to be independent and Self reliant even if you are still getting honoured with constant help from kind-hearted people in your life.

Work out something on your own too to save yourself from regrets later when the hard times comes.
And oh yes, I tell you to take this from me, that bad times will surely come, but I pray when it comes you will be ready to meet it fully prepared.
For those of you, who have built a hedge of a heavy trust in other people, because just like my lazy younger self, you are thinking they will always be around to help you no matter what. So you will not push to do anything for yourself,.  I really pity you so much.

If not for anything at all, you have seen that the crab has no head on its shoulders. It was always receiving beautiful compliments from all the animals in the forest on how beautiful its head was.  One day, the antelope who didn't like the appearance of its own head, came to his dear friend, the crab and asked him to borrow him its head so he may attend an important funeral the coming weekend. The crab, having no ill intentions happily lent its head to the antelope and asked him to return it immediately after the funeral.  The antelope didn't. And the crab went to the antelope demanding its head back. The antelope then replied "You were dumb enough to lend me your beautiful head knowing  how bad I wanted it. Now it's stuck on my head. You were stupid enough to trust me"

This is why until this moment the crab has no head. Because it trusted people blindly without reasoning.

I hope this helps to save someone from a deadly trap.
I need not say more.

Kwame Sarpong |  Freelance Writer: 
Nyansa365 
e: nyansa365@gmail.com | w: nyansa365.blogspot.com 
m: +233205832364 | p: +233205832364
f: Otumfour Kwame Sarpong
t: @kwamesarpong25
inst: iamotumfour
L: Kwame Sarpong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Letter To My Daughters On Women's Day

My dear daughters, this is a big occasion for you and every woman on earth. Because the whole world has chosen to celebrate you on this day. But as you are growing, do well to remember these commandments; This life owes you nothing as a woman Neither does this world You are smart and capable on your own Earn everything you want and wish for in this life Do not take crap from anyone, whether a man or a woman Do not cry Infront of anyone who does not like you, my dear daughters, for they will laugh at you and despise you Never expect things to be easy or smooth for you just because you are a woman, everyone in this world; weak or strong have to make things happen for them before they can succeed. Remember that to make it in life, it will take much time and patience. So wear patience like an armour when things don't go well for you as you planned Be gentle,  be sweet but always remember to speak bodly, stand strong and be ready to pull up your skirts to wade through difficu...

An Attitude Of Gratitude

To have an attitude of gratitude is the greatest virtue anyone  can have. Because it shows that you are content with the little you have and a happy expectation of all you are yet to have and enjoy in life. If you really want your life to change, then you need to add the habit of  gratitude. I realised that our generation of today take the power of being grateful for granted. Because we are a generation that is burnt on having more and more everyday, we quickly lose sight of the important things we already have that is keeping our life afloat at this moment. It's almost as if each one of us is in competition with one another when it's not supposed to be so. I was born with a disability from birth, an advanced form of poliomyelitis. I had twisted hands and legs as a child so I was only able to crawl on the floor. That was my only way to move. I hated that and myself so much because I wanted to walk just like everybody else. I was consumed so much by hate and ingratitude ...

How Failure Breeds Great Achievers

I get asked by many people a lot of times... Why do you always like writing motivational stories and messages to inspire others. What inspires you, and what do you get from doing that  every morning anyway? My answer has always been simple. To prevent people  especially you from giving up in life when you face the least form of failure. My greatest wish is to provide hope, faith and reason for you not to give up in life. I would like you to think of me   as your symbol of Inspiration for each day. Most people, ironically, think  that people who always inspire, motivate and encourage other people don't have problems,  they think they have a cozy and smooth life, that's why they are able to encourage people. But believe me, that's not true. On the contrary, those kind of people like me, are the kinds of people facing all sorts of problems, challenges and difficulties in life. The trick here, however is, I have chosen to look at  my failures, challe...